CESR is primarily a light source.

This has been true since 2008, when the electron-positron collision program ended (ending accelerated somewhat by economic conditions of the time). The particle collision detector, CLEO, has not been in operation since then and will be completely removed from the ring this summer. CHESS (Cornell High Energy Synchrotron Source) is now the primary user of the beams. In the last few years, we have added undulators to our wigglers.

It most certainly makes sense for the electrons and positrons to go different directions, since they are in the same beam tube, and curve oppositely under the magnetic fields. I believe we are the only facility in the world foolish enough to operate this way. Imagine how much fun it was modifying the e+ and e- orbits to fit down an undulator.

If you want to hear more about what is happening with CESR & CHESS, including the Chess Compact Undulators, our annual user meeting is coming up soon, 2016-06-07.
http://www.chess.cornell.edu/

This year's Ithaca Festival is 2016-06-03 - 2016-06-5 if you want to make the trip doubly worthwhile.