From frederic leymarie <[log in to unmask]>

http://www.gold.ac.uk/calendar/?id=9936

next Whitehead seminar with visiting guest Dr. Anne Verroust-Blondet from INRIA, Paris, France.
Next week, exceptionally, Tuesday May 24th, 2pm-3pm, in the RHB Goldsmiths-Curzon Cinema, London - (next to the cafe’) - details below;
please share, invite colleagues and friends; free and open to all interested.
---------------------

"Sketch-based 3D model retrieval using visual part shape description and view selection"
by Dr. Anne Verroust-Blondet from INRIA, Paris, France
(work done in collaboration with Zahraa Yasseen and Ahmad Nasri)

Abstract:
Hand drawings are the imprints of shapes in human's mind. How a human expresses a shape is a consequence of how he or she visualizes it. A query-by-sketch 3D object retrieval application is closely tied to this concept from two aspects. First, describing sketches must involve elements in a figure that matter most to a human. Second, the representative 2D projection of the target 3D objects must be limited to "the canonical views" from a human cognition perspective. We advocate for these two rules by presenting a new approach for sketch-based 3D object retrieval that describes a 2D shape by the visual protruding parts of its silhouette. Furthermore, we present a list of candidate 2D projections that represent the canonical views of a 3D object.

The general rule is that humans would visually avoid part occlusion and symmetry. We quantify the extent of part occlusion of the projected silhouettes of 3D objects by skeletal length computations. Sorting the projected views in the decreasing order of skeletal lengths gives access to a subset of best representative views.
We experimentally show how views that cause misinterpretation and mismatching can be detected according to the part occlusion criteria. We also propose criteria for locating side, off axis, or asymmetric views.

Short Bio:
Anne Verroust-Blondet is a senior research scientist in the RITS research group of Inria Paris, France. She obtained her "Thèse de 3e cycle" and her "Thèse d'Etat" in Computer Science (respectively in database theory and in computer graphics) from the University of Paris-Sud. Her current research interests include 2D and 3D visual information retrieval, object recognition, 2D and 3D geometric modeling and perception problems in the context of intelligent transportation systems.

Whitehead Lectures in Cognition, Computation and Culture
http://www.gold.ac.uk/cccc/whitehead/

http://www.gold.ac.uk/calendar/?id=9936
--
Frederic Fol Leymarie
www.folleymarie.com

====
Paul Brown
http://www.paul-brown.com == http://www.brown-and-son.com
UK Mobile +44 (0)794 104 8228
Skype paul-g-brown
====
Honorary Visiting Professor - Sussex University
http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/ccnr/research/creativity.html
====