David, I'm not trying to outlaw the term - though I see no useful connection with 'mainstream politics' and haven't come across it in the other arts except perhaps theatre. If someone spoke to me about mainstream painting I'd wonder what planet they were from. So sure, if it's helpful to people let them use it. Myself, I've a vague idea about what it's used to cover.
   When it becomes the repository of all or most of the vices in the poetic universe - anecdotal, empirical, pettily epiphanic, faux realist, domestic, bourgeois, quietistic etc. etc. - I'd say it has outlived any usefulness, and the cargo is merely abusive not descriptive. Saying that it 'aspires to be normative' and variants thereof would seem to be continuous with this set of negative characteristics. So if you think that this neat distribution of vices on one side of the divide and their opposed virtues, presumably, on the other side is an accurate representation of the world of poetry, then the term may well be useful to you.

Jamie