From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Tim Allen
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2016 11:51 AM
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: names

Hi Michael - My idea that it is Brit mainstream poetry that is the anomaly came at first from my own experience of reading. I could not understand why I had no problem with the poetry of the past (though obviously I had likes and dislikes, huge preferences and some indifference) that was comparable to my instinctive negativity to the poetry that began to flood the mainstream channels, both high and low, from the 80's onwards - culminating in Duffy etc. Even Movement poetry and even bloody Larkin did not produce the same bad feeling in me, even though I could see that they had much to do with the direction this poetry had taken. For example even though Hardy is often cited as being a model for that type of poetry I actually quite like Hardy and there are many other examples. The sense I got from the late mainstream poetry were of an essential reactionary meanness, infused with poetic bad-faith, stunted and claustrophobic yet also smugly pleased with itself in a way which still makes my hackles rise. I could go on. It possessed certain qualities in such an extreme way and yet was presenting itself as the very opposite, as this highly naturalised craft. This is taking me back to the Terrible Work days when I was trying to talk about this.

I found theoretical clues to this 'anomaly' in things said by Forrest-Thomson and Andrew Crozier but I can't now remember what they were. In the more general criticism coming from the innovative lot about 'anecdotal poetry etc and A. Duncan's comments about 'telling us what we already know' and his classification of 'Pop Poetry' I could still not find anything that was delving deep enough into the poetry's idiosyncrasy - it went a lot further than stuff about anecdote. And I'm not a scholar, and I get bored even by my own obsessions (rather write poetry, listen to music and take the dog out), so I've never really pursued it.

And no, the 'anomaly' does not apply to the three mentioned below, Bletsoe Shuttle and Jamie. The indifference shown by the mainstream to Elisabeth's brilliant poetry is symptomatic of what I'm talking about - another fine example is my very own sparring partner Peter Riley. There are many poets I would exclude from the anomaly, some of them obvious like Hughes and Redgrove etc. And there is one who I think tried to escape the anomaly without even knowing what he was trying to escape from, so therefore failed anyway.... umm Don, Don somebody.