As Cambridge sometimes gets a mention here, I notice today a team of
Cambridge researchers are claiming that "More and more people are using and
pronouncing words in the way that people from London and the south-east
do."Researchers concluded "regional differences" were disappearing, "some
quite quickly", although people in the north-east of England seemed to be
"more resistant to the patterns of overall levelling in dialect" and,
although I would agree that there has been changed I also can't help
feeling that only somewhere as self-cocooned as Cambridge could imply that
in the streets and bars and shops of say Dudley, Hereford, Nantwich,
Coalville, Doncaster, Worcester, Burnley you are likely to hear people
talking in a 'southern' accent. It uses the genuine decline in some
features of northern dialect, the strong 'r' in particular, which has been
steadily declining in England since Elizabethan days, and extrapolates that
into the conclusions above.
They need only have got a train 15 minutes to Ely to find folk talking
different.