Workshop on Autonomous Everyday Objects at Ubicomp 2016 in Heidelberg,
Germany

http://openlab.ncl.ac.uk/publicweb/ubicompws/

Since the earliest explorations of mechanical devices, technologists
have used movement to both fascinate and intrigue observers and to give
the impression of intelligence. Equally, classic visions of future homes
present environments suffused with actuated devices, moving and
responding in response to their inhabitants. As sensors and actuators
have become more ubiquitous, our potential to develop low-cost actuated
devices, which employ interactive movements, has increased. In this
workshop, we wish to critically unpack a design space around autonomous
behaviours and smart environments, asking how the objects and devices we
use might come to appear more "intelligent" through interaction and
movement. We aim to explore how intelligence in such everyday objects is
seen and enacted and how physical movement of interfaces can be
leveraged for ubicomp and HCI.

We invite submissions of 2-4 page position papers (in ACM Ext. Abstr.
format) on the theme of machine intelligence, autonomy and movement in
interactive devices. We invite people from all kinds of fields with and
without experience in (autonomous) technologies. In particular, we
welcome papers that explore or discuss people’s perception of autonomous
and moving ubicomp systems. We are also interested in new design ideas,
concepts and frameworks. How can we design for autonomy in ubicomp
technology? Furthermore of interest are technical challenges and
solutions related to the implementation of such systems. What are the
risks and what are the potentials? Finally we invite submissions
regarding evaluation strategies of autonomous ubicomp devices but also
discussions on ethical issues that arise with their use.

The workshop will see the presentation and discussion of these ideas,
followed by practical sessions in which participants respond to design
briefs investigating actuation of ubicomp devices. No expertise is
required, as a prototyping kit is provided, which is easily accessible
even for non-technical attendees. Submissions should be sent in pdf
format to [log in to unmask] Free free to contact us, if you have
further questions.

Important Dates
- Authors Submission: June 7th, 2016 (for papers that will be included
in the ACM DL)
- Authors Submission: June 21st, 2016 (for papers that will not be
included in the ACM DL)
- Author Notification: June 28th, 2016
- Workshop: September September 13th, 2016 in Heidelberg, Germany

--
Dr Enrico Costanza
Lecturer, Agents, Interaction, Complexity Group

http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/ec
http://d-touch.org