Apologies! Correction - this event is on Thurs 9th June

From: The Black and Asian Studies Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joanne Anthony
Sent: 23 May 2016 16:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Occupy the Archives: Radical Histories & You - Hackney Archives: Thurs 9 May: 6-8pm

All welcome - please book via Eventbrite https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/occupy-the-archives-radical-histories-you-part-of-antiuniversity-now-festival-tickets-25476358474
Or by email at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or phone on 020 8356 8925

Occupy the Archives: Radical Histories & You (Part of the AntiUniversity<http://www.antiuniversity.org/> Now Festival)

Host: Joanne Anthony (Hackney Archives)
Venue: Hackney Archives, Level 2 of Dalston CLR James Library, Dalston Square, E8 3BQ
Date: Thurs 9 June 2016
Time: 6-8pm

"Partial, inaccurate and exclusive history is of benefit to no-one and leads to a society in which citizens are not fully equipped with the knowledge to understand the past and hence the present, nor the power to challenge stereotypes, ignorance and racism." [Northampton Black History Project]

Can you see yourself - your passions, everyday experiences, artistic or political expressions - reflected and celebrated in your local archives, museums or libraries? If not, why?

Building on last year's Occupy event, we'll now take a practical look at exploring:

- What radical collecting actually is?
- The power of archives to affect change for social justice
- Your role in making history & evening the balance in how our shared history is remembered.

Community-led campaigns to create an archive of active social and political movements are taking place across the world: from the Occupy movement, Radical publishers, LGBT to Trade Union, and Black-led cultural movements. We'll continue to draw inspiration from these movements, along with pioneers like C.L.R James, in how we can create crucial counter-narratives.

Join us for a collective exploration of what we can all do to capture stories and memories that reverberate into the future.

Hackney Archives is keen to continue beyond the AntiUniversity<http://www.antiuniversity.org/> Festival to offer a hub for community archives advice and to support an informal network of Radical Activist-Archivists, "where archives and social justice meets".

Joanne Anthony
Archives Manager
Hackney Archives & Local Studies
Dalston CLR James Library
Phone: 020 8356 7488
http://www.hackney.gov.uk/

Helping people to share and explore Hackney's rich and diverse past through unique collections, engaging exhibitions and learning opportunities - to influence a better future together.

Hackney Council - Health & Community Services: Libraries, Heritage and Culture

The contents of this email are confidential to the intended recipient at the email address to which it has been addressed. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than this addressee, nor may it be copied in any way. If received in error, please contact Hackney Council, www.hackney.gov.uk<http://www.hackney.gov.uk> on 020 8356 3000 (out of hours - 020 8356 2300) quoting the name of the sender and the addressee and then delete it from your system. Please note that neither Hackney Council nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan the email and attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Hackney Council by means of email communications.Please note that Hackney Council reserves the right to monitor emails for the purpose of monitoring or communications relevant to the Company's business under the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice) (Interception Of Communications) Regulations 2000 (S.I. 2000/2699) ("the Regulations") for the following reasons: to investigate or detect the unauthorised use of the systems, e.g. that this policy is being observed, that no discriminatory or offensive content appears in emails; to maintain an adequate level of security for our computer systems; to detect any computer viruses; to check mailboxes of absent employees. To exercise its right under the Regulations, Hackney Council must have made all reasonable efforts to inform every person who may use the system that interception may take place and this notice to you should be regarded as such notification..