Hello,

This book looks like an excellent resource, what a massive amount of work
has been done to produce it. Traditional techniques of food processing is a
huge area to cover. My own interest over the last twenty years has been in
the traditional ways of processing barley and wheat, in particular floor
malting and the brewing of ale and beer. I doubt that you would find these
activities today in the regions that you studied, ie the Mediterranean, the
Middle East and the Indian sub continent, in modern times. Such activities
of processing grain into malt and ale ceased with the rise of Islam in
these areas, in the 6th Century and later. Alcohol is illegal and
forbidden. People do not make it any more there, malt and ale have not been
made in these countries for over 1200 years. It has slipped from common
local practice.

Nevertheless, I think that making malt from the grain, then making sugars
and fermenting them into ale/beer are an important aspect of food
processing in history and prehistory. They were once widespread in these
areas.

Making malt is a much overlooked and almost forgotten craft and
agricultural process. It has been out of public awareness until recently.
In the USA, the craft of the maltster, that is, making malt in the old and
traditional way by steeping, floor germination and careful kilning, has
been recently revived within the last four or five years. In Britain and
Europe there are only a handful of companies that still make malt in this
traditional way. It survives in some remote areas of Northern Europe,
Norway, Lithuania and Latvia for example. Making malt became an
industrialised process when Saladin Drums and Germinating Kilning Vessels
took over from the floor maltster. However, the fundamental biochemical
processes are unchanged.

A few years ago I gave a paper at a Food in Archaeology Conference about
traditional malting and mashing techniques. It was published recently as
'The Craft of the Maltster'. A few months ago, I wrote an article for the
magazine Brewer and Distiller International called 'Who were the first
maltsters? The archaeological evidence for floor malting'. Both are
available to download from my page on Academia.edu, if anyone is interested
and would like to read them. I also wrote an entry for the recently
published "Archaeology of Food: an Encyclopedia" edited by Karen Methany &
Mary C. Beaudry.

https://www.academia.edu/25025542/Who_were_the_first_maltsters_The_archaeological_evidence_for_floor_malting
https://www.academia.edu/15542445/The_craft_of_the_maltster
https://www.academia.edu/16787798/Brewing_Malting_in_Archaeology_of_Food_an_Encyclopedia_edited_by_Karen_Methany_and_Mary_C._Beaudry