Hi Everyone-

As it turns out, other scientists have been hard at work figuring this out for us, and the simplest solution is an LED flashlight and a machined fitting. No lie. The literature addresses fluorescence microscopy, but I tried it this morning on our Zeiss Universal Pol with a little duct tape and the 600 lumen light from my bicycle, and the lighting was shockingly good. There are several publications out on how to rig this up sans duct tape.

How to use a flashlight with your scope: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2751867/

Another DIY flashlight hack: http://www.slideshare.net/sdroege/how-to-make-a-microcope-light-ppt

If you or one of your students is particularly handy, here's how to build your own LED illuminator inexpensively with commercially available parts:  http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0002146

For commercially available solutions, I've been most impressed with the Retro Diode people in Kansas, as they will custom build a new fitting for you to your exact specifications, and it will run off its own power source. It will, however, cost about $300 for something that will work well with cross-polarized light. This price is much better than the $1700 option I was proposed, but I realize it may be cost prohibitive for some operations. http://www.retrodiode.com

Worst case scenario is a $20 fix for microscopes with defunct light sources. Set up your solar battery charger in the window, and you never run out of juice. For fieldwork and for those in our field who may be working in places that don't have a great deal of funding, I think these are great solutions.

Happy scanning!

Linda