Postdoctoral Training Fellow in Bioinformatics (MGU 204)
MRC Mammalian Genetics Unit
Harwell, Oxfordshire
£27,355-£32,648 (including allowances)
Fixed Term - 3 years and 11 months

About the Role
We are seeking two talented and motivated postdoctoral researchers in Bioinformatics to join the BioComputing programme at MRC Harwell.  The Biocomputing team develops computational methods to explore the large volumes of data generated by a number of large scale projects, such as the International Mouse Phenotyping Consortium (www.mousephenotye.org), and disseminates the results to the wider scientific community (see Hrabé de Angelis et al, Nature Genetics 2015 47(9):969-78 and Yaikhom et al, Nature Methods 2015 12(8):698-9).  In order for our data to be informative, it is essential that it is effectively assessed and managed before being made publicly available.
Our research focuses on three main areas; the management and analysis of large- scale mouse phenotyping data, the analysis of NGS and transcriptomics data and 3D systems imaging. You will join one of these three key areas developing analytical projects.  Currently the Biocomputing team has 5 postdocs and 2 graduate students working in these three areas, so you would join an exciting and dynamic team, who work closely together.

For further information please visit our website:
https://www.har.mrc.ac.uk/research/data-analysis-and-dissemination

About You
You will work closely with the experienced members of the Biocomputing team, but will be expected to bring experience and knowledge of cutting edge technologies to the team.

To join us you must have a PhD in an appropriate discipline, e.g. computer science, bioinformatics or related discipline. You will have an interest in data analysis, modelling or machine learning, with a track record of writing papers, as evidenced by publications or submitted manuscripts in high quality journals. You should have experience in the analysis and manipulation of large mammalian functional datasets, including accessing databases via MySQL and/or commonly used bioinformatics APIs, such as the Ensembl Perl API; practical experience querying relational databases using SQL and experience building databases and bioinformatics pipelines.
Experience in the following would be desirable, but it is not essential to have them all: data analysis, modelling or machine learning; statistical concepts; programming, e.g. Python, Perl, C/C++, Java; data visualization; statistical analysis of large data sets using R or MATLAB; NGS and transcriptomics and Image Analysis.

Benefits
These posts are funded by the MRC to support postdoctoral training and to help establish successful research scientists in their chosen field. During the fellowship tenure we are committed to provide mentorship for career development and improvement of communication skills. We are strongly committed to your personal development and well-being, with extensive opportunities for training and flexible working.  Choosing to come to work at the MRC means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits: from a final salary pension scheme and 30 days of holiday entitlement plus bank holidays, to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary-sacrifice cycle to work scheme and childcare vouchers.

For full details of this post and to complete an online application, visit https://mrc.tal.net/vx/lang-en-GB/mobile-0/appcentre-1/brand-3/xf-efcfc6e8b1f9/candidate/so/pm/4/pl/1/opp/204-Post-Doctoral-Training-Fellow-in-Bioinformatics-Biostatistics-MGU-204/en-GB and upload your CV along with a covering letter stating why you are applying for this role.  Please quote reference number MGU 204.

Closing date:  13th June 2016

The MRC is an equal opportunities employer.
'Leading Science for Better Health'

This email may have a protective marking, for an explanation please see http://www.mrc.ac.uk/About/Informationandstandards/Documentmarking/index.htm

We use an electronic filing system. Please send electronic versions of documents, unless paper is specifically requested.

SIGNOFF allstat