Hi Zooarchaeologists,

In the course of my dissertation research, I have come across three mystery fish species / bones. I have figured out the element, but I cannot figure out the species. I am unable to find a match in my available comparative collection. These fish are from Fort Laramie, Wyoming between AD 1860-1890. I’ve attached the three different mystery bones below.  If anyone can help me identify species, I would be incredibly thankful! The remains are from the US Army’s bachelor officers’ meat cellar. Most of the other species in the archaeological collection have been from deep water, including sauger (Sander canadense), channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus), and shovelnose sturgeon (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus). White suckers (Catostomus commersoni) are also found in the collection.

Here is a list of the other native game-fish species to Wyoming that I cannot find a comparative:

Cutthroat Trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii)

Black Bullhead (Ameiurus melas)

Artctic Grayling (Thymallus arcticus)

Mountain Whitefish (Prosopium williamsoni)

Stonecat (Noturus flavus)

Any suggestions or identifications would be much appreciated. Thank you so much for your help!

Thank you,

Sarah Wolff

Ph.D. Candidate

University of Arizona

Inline image 1Inline image 3Inline image 2

--
Sarah Wolff
Ph.D. student in archaeology

"Nothing shocks me.  I'm a scientist." Indiana Jones, Temple of Doom