Great job!

21. apr. 2016 16:28 skrev "Lynne Magor-Blatch" <[log in to unmask]>:
I am grateful for the support of the Civil Society Task Force, the NGO sector inEurope and Australia for the support this week to attend the United Nations General Assembly Special Sitting (UNGASS) on the World Drug problem.

My involvement was with Roundtable 1 - addressing issues of Demand Reduction.  The following is my statement, presented on behalf of civil society -

Mr Chair and distinguished representatives, my name is Lynne Magor-Blatch, I am here as a representative of civil society and from Australia, and I thank you for the opportunity to speak on this important topic.

1.      There is a need for a policy and resources shift away from law
enforcement and prohibition as the primary response, to prevention, early intervention and treatment.  It should be easier for someone to enter treatment for their drug addiction than it is to end up in prison.  Shame, stigma and discrimination must be addressed, both in relation to drug users themselves, and importantly, in relation to their families and the community.  Many families suffer a range of discriminations – they are too often blamed, and their own needs are consequently overlooked.  If stigma and discrimination are not addressed, marginalisation will continue, even after the person’s reintegration into the community.

2.      Almost 50% of people with substance use disorders also suffer from
a mental illness and many have physical health problems which are untreated, and which put them at further health risk. This firmly places substance use in the realm of health, rather than as a criminal concern.  Treating the underlying issues which have led to the use of substances is of primary importance - and that means recognising the myriad of family, social, intergenerational and psychological factors which contribute to the use of substances. Providing appropriate evidence-based and quality treatment responses to address these concerns is essential. In this regard, civil society is pleased to note the inclusion of access to essential medicines included in the outcome document.

3.      We have already heard from others about the importance of the
rights of the child in terms of protection from trafficking and early exposure to drug use.  For this to be successful we need to end criminal sanctions for drug use and develop better partnerships between health and criminal justice systems. This means considering a range of diversionary processes from the criminal justice system, and other measures which includes support to families to cease drug abuse and to promote family reunification.

This I know from my own personal professional experience and research evidence.

Children have the right to become the next generation of leaders, rather than the next generation of drug users – and must be nurtured and protected.  In this context, early and primary intervention strategies must be strengthened, recognising that children whose parents are involved in drug use are at risk, and their needs must be addressed through early intervention and support programs.

4.      Primary prevention and education is far more than school drug
education.  It includes intervening with vulnerable and at risk groups, reducing inequality and providing opportunities, and honest and accurate information.  We need to increase health and help-seeking behaviour of young people and develop the capacity of those services that are working in these areas.

5.      Finally, there needs to be a greater involvement of civil society
in decision making processes at UN and in all countries at every level – international, national, regional and local, and at the centre of drug policy.  We need to also remember the many vulnerable small island developing states, such as those in the Pacific, who have particular needs.

6.      The involvement of civil society in all planning and implementation
processes is vital to the health, social and psychological outcomes for all clients, their families, community and society.  Including civil society at all these levels provides the opportunity to bring many voices together in a coordinated approach.  This should start at the beginning of the process and in the planning stages – not just at the end.  If civil society is included at the outset the final outcome will have the best chance of success through a cooperative and collaborative approach.

Thank you.

I have also attended a number of side events - and at one of these Rowdy Yates spoke passionately about therapeutic communities - thank you Rowdy for your ongoing championing of TCs in the world arena.

My sincere appreciation to the CSTF, the NGO sector and others who supported me in coming to UNGASS 2016.

Kind regards, Lynne

Lynne Magor-Blatch
Executive Officer, ATCA

Email: [log in to unmask]