hi Sarah -

thought you'd be interested to hear that this saga repeated itself.  it
happened on both my current machines, both running 10.10.5, with the EAO
nightly build.

fortunately i had a vague (getting old...) memory of seeing the issue
before and an email search picked up this thread.

deleting and reinstalling XQuartz (no need to delete starlink this time
around) again cured the issue.

cheers,

Rob

--