From: jian hou <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 29 April 2016 06:32
To: Penny, William
Subject: 2x2x3 model specification

Dear William,
My experiment is a 2 (group) x 2 (question type) x 3 (valence of picture) design. I searched the spm email list and found your very useful reply regarding model specification and contrasts (https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1510&L=spm&D=0&1=spm&9=A&J=on&d=No+Match%3BMatch%3BMatches&z=4&P=806176).
However, I'm still a bit confused. You wrote that ''To test for (5) the main effect of Factor B (the one with three levels) I would use two contrasts per subject [1 -1 0 1 -1 0] and [0 1 -1 0 1 -1] and take the resulting 70 con images (two per subject) into a two-sample t-test design at the second level. ''
I'm wondering if I understand you correctly. Did you mean selecting contrast 1 files (35 images in your example) for group 1 scans and selecting contrast 2 for group 2 scans?
Wouldn't a paired t-test be more appropriate since each subject has 2 contrast files?
Thank you very much for your help.
Best regards,
Jian Hou