Thanks Donald :)

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 8:05 PM, MCLAREN, Donald <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
See in line responses below.

Best Regards,
Donald McLaren, PhD

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 7:09 PM, Joelle Zimmermann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Donald,

I'm coming back to this, just want to clarify something..

I mentioned (in my email above), that improvements in performance across time reflect decreases in neural activity (in a one-sample t-test).

This was related to the -1 that you used at the first level.

Then, I go on to show that the slope of this relationship (between performance and neural activity) is different in younger and older adults. I'm wondering, since I show deactivations related to improvements in performance in the one-sample t-test, is this also the case for the two-sample t-test comparing young and older adults?

You didn't show deactivations are related to improvements. All you have shown is a negative relationship. This shouldn't be confused with activity below baseline.

In the two sample test, you are comparing the negative slopes. If Y>O, then the negative slope is greater (more negative) in young compared to old.

Can I say that the slope of the relationship between performance and specifically neural DEACTIVATIONS (since I show deactivations in the one-sample, not activations), is different by age?

No. You are looking at the slope. The slope does not tell you anything about the activations or deactivations relative to baseline.

Thanks,
Joelle