SPM applies a signal intensity mask to the data to avoid running statistics
on stuff outside the brain or where there is poor signal. This is likely why
the masks are 'shrinking' in some cases. In the second level analysis, only
voxels in which ALL participants have data are included.

There are two issues here. Firstly, is there a normalization problem in some
participants? You should manually check the preprocessed EPI data,
especially for those such as Sub2 below who have lots of data loss.

Secondly, you can try reducing the threshold at which SPM applies this
masking. This is the masking thresholding applied in the first level.
Default is 0.8, I tend to use a lower value (e.g. 0.5). BUT: This is a
controversial thing to do which others on the list will (not unreasonably)
advise against. The best thing is to find the root cause in the data for the
signal reductions around the edge.

Especially to confirm if the normalizations look good.

Good Luck

Colin Hawco, PhD

Neuranalysis Consulting

Neuroimaging analysis and consultation