Hi all:

I have followed this discussion group with great interest since I am embarking on a RE in a new project.

I plan to evaluate the success of an large-scale initiative on new patient handling practices for hospital staff to reduce musculoskeletal injuries.  The program theory states that you need education and equipment supply/demonstration to make this program successful. Some staff showed great uptake using the equipment all the time while others did not.

I’ll do a survey and also qualitative interviews. My question to you is:

What types of questions should go into the survey? Questions on the program rollout as well as questions on the context (site culture, manager support, etc) as well as their views how they liked the program (did you find it useful, etc.) = mechanisms?

Qualitative interviews appear to be more suited to this type of inquiry since they try to dig into why/why not they now use the equipment etc. – the micro context and their reasons for uptake = mechanisms.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

Siegrid

Siegrid Deutschlander, PhD

Senior Research and Evaluation Consultant

Workforce Research & Evaluation

Calgary – Southport Tower AB T2W 1S7

T: 403-943-0549    |    F: 403-943-2875

Alberta Health Services

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca

cid:image001.jpg@01D16E58.61230F00

This message and any attached documents are only for the use of the intended recipient(s), are confidential and may contain privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, retransmission, or other disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and then delete the original message. Thank you.