Thank you Katie, Denise and Justin. This conversation is timely for me as I am in the early stages of my analysis. I too turned to Margaret Archer (Morphogenetic approach, analytical dualism) as this seemed helpful for the particular puzzle I am working with.

A couple of years ago I went to a PhD/ECR day on ‘What’s the point of social ontology?’ with Margaret Archer and Mark Carrigan. This is how she framed the structure of social theories:

1.       All theories have a Social Ontology (implicit or explicit) defining the constituents of the social world. This governs which concepts are admissible and which are not. A social ontology explains nothing in itself (although it may exclude certain explanations), nor does it tell you how to go about explaining anything.

2.       An Explanatory Programme / Framework explains nothing in itself, but suggests how to go about explaining.

3.       A Practical Social Theory does the explaining, so is where your research questions sit.

She suggests that Bhaskar’s work is in the first category, and that her Morphogenetic Framework is in the second. This would seem to support Justin’s suggestion that Realist Evaluation and the Morphogenetic Framework are parallel, because they both suggest how to go about explaining. I don’t know about anyone else, but I feel like a penny has dropped!

Avril

Avril Nicoll |ESRC PhD Student

NMAHP Research Unit |Unit 13 Scion House |University of Stirling |FK9 4NF

Email: [log in to unmask] |Twitter: @avrilnicoll

cid:image001.jpg@01CE94FA.73749C80

Latest NMAHP RU ebulletin:

Mar/Apr 2016