It would be useful to review the success of past forecasts - what's the distribution of errors around forecasts of GDP and GDP change, 1 year ahead and 10 years ahead? The same for unemployment and other key indicators used in public policy. Unlike weather, the economy is not forecast frequently enough for there to be a great deal of data to go on. But perhaps it's already been done, enough to know whether the uncertainty is sufficiently stable to use to judge new forecasts.

But a claim like 'Brexit with a bilateral agreement between UK and EU would reduce GDP by £4,300 per household' is a conditional forecast. The success of past forecasts would only show the uncertainty around things not determined by the Brexit condition. The assumptions made about what Brexit would involve are fixed by the forecaster and would take further unpicking: argument over their validity would add more uncertainty, perhaps a lot more.

There may have been a lot of work done on this already. If anyone knows it and could consider turning it into practical advice for evaluating claims, it would make a good RadStats article - or a chapter in the RadStats books.

From my experience in population forecasts, there are key needs where uncertainty matters a lot (school rolls; town planning; adult care), and there are quite a lot of data in the UK. But very few evaluations.

Ludi

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 20 Apr 2016 17:10:56 +0100
From:    John Bibby <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Fwd: Letter: "All forecasts are wrong. But some are more wrong than others" (Derek Jerram,"Forecasting is art, not science", Letters in "i", 2016april20, p.14.

Please see email below - all comments welcome!  JOHN BIBBY

You are invited to the following events that I am co-organising in York:

   - "Yorkshire, World War 1 & the Middle East
   <http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/yorkshire-world-war-1-the-middle-east-community-history-workshops-tickets-24106292570?aff=ehomesaved>"
   (*26 April* - Community History *FREE *Events)
   - " 'Bonjour M. Sykes!', 'Ca va, M. Picot' " (*16 May* - Sykes-Picot
   1916-2016)
   - *Borders and Beyond in the Middle East since 1914
   <http://www.yorksj.ac.uk/news---events/news---events-home/events/borders-and-beyond-in-the-midd.aspx>
   (*"BABITME", *17-18 June) *: WW1, Yorkshire family connections & others,
   implications for today, migration, nationalisms, religion, etc., etc..:
   www.tinyURL.com/BABITME <http://www.tinyurl.com/BABITME>