From: email list for Radical Statistics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Wells, Julian
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2016 3:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: RADSTATS Digest - 19 Apr 2016 to 20 Apr 2016 (#2016-58)

Robert reminds us that "First question BTW was are economists better at
analysing the past than predicting the future?"

The mainstream is necessarily rubbish at both, because of their dogmatic (in
both senses) commitment to equilibrium (of which the current cutting edge
are so-called Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium models).

To illustrate my claim I point to the new Cambridge University Press
textbook catalogue in economics, business and management, in which the
second, third and fourth entries are

	Modeling Monetary Economics (Champ et al): "Simplifies the economy
by starting with two markets in general equilibrium"

	Principles of Financial Economics (LeRoy and Werner): "Stresses the
link between financial economics and equilibrium theory"

	Dynamic Economic Analysis (Sorger): "popular model structures and
solution concepts ... dynamic general equilibrium frameworks"

For an accessible antidote to this nonsense, see my colleague Steve Keen's
work, especially his book "Debunking Economics"; this YouTube video provides
a flavour:

	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZKjQtrgdVY

Julian

Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your message will go only
to the sender of this message.
If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's 'Reply-to-All'
button to send your message automatically to [log in to unmask]
Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and
cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by
subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical
Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of
our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk.