Dear Colleagues,

We are delighted to announce that we have two London PUS events planned for May 2016.

Firstly, on 11th May 2016, we will be hosting a special PUS 'China in Focus' Day (LSE, Department of Social Psychology, Q328, 11.00-18.00). While the conduct of science has become a global affair, science culture and the public understanding of science remain local matters. This day offers an opportunity to reflect on such similarities and differences and to engage in international comparisons and understanding diversity in the field.  The programme for the day is below, and more details and abstracts on our website http://londonpus.wordpress.com

Secondly, the next ‘regular’ London PUS Seminar will be taking place at 4.15pm on Wednesday 25th May 2016, in room QUE3 28/29 at LSE (map here http://www.lse.ac.uk/mapsAndDirections/home.aspx). We are delighted to announce that our speakers will be Ethan Greenwood from the Wellcome Trust, and Patrick Sturgis from University of Southampton, who will be talking about Wave 3 of the Wellcome Trust Monitor Survey of UK public attitudes to medical research.  Their abstract is below and also on our website http://londonpus.wordpress.com

We hope to see you at at least one of these interesting events.

Best wishes

Jane Gregory, Martin Bauer, Simon Lock, Melanie Smallman

The PUS ‘China in Focus’ Day

LSE, Department of Social Psychology, Q328, 11.00-18.00, 11th May 2016.

China is a large and diverse cultural space. It has lively discussions on science and public understanding of science, stimulated nationally by CAST (China Association for Science and Technology), CAS (China Academy of Sciences), MOST (Ministry of Science and Technology) and in many provincial initiatives.

This PUS Focus Day of presentations and discussions will raise the awareness of PUS diversity with doctoral and post-doctoral research currently conduced in the UK. While the conduct of science has become a global affair, science culture and the public understanding of science remain local matters. This day offers an opportunity to engage comparative benchmarking of similarities and differences in the people’s relationship to science as this is represented in various streams of observation and performance.

Programme
(further details and abstracts available at http://londonpus.wordpress.com)

11.00 Welcome and introduction (Martin Bauer for The London PUS team)

11.15  Kristiansen, Silje (IPMZ. Zurich): Responses to Fukushima in Switzerland – ‘risk’ is a complex story
12.15  ZHANG Huiliang (CAST-CRISP / LSE) Creative imagination among Chinese school children

Lunch

14.00  LIU Xuan (CAST-CRISP / LSE) DAO, MAO and Master MENG - attitudes to science in China

15.00  SONG Jia-Ou (University of Manchester) Two Case Studies on Contemporary Science Museums in China from a UK Perspective

16.00  YIN Lin (CAST-CRISP / LSE) What Chinese scientists think about ‘engaging the public’

17.00  Final discussion leading into the PUB and beyond

 PUS Seminar 4.15pm, Wednesday 25th May 2016, Room QUE3 28/29 LSE

Ethan Greenwood, Wellcome Trust; Patrick Sturgis, University of Southampton What do the UK public think about medical research?

This seminar with explore the latest and previous findings from the Wellcome Trust Monitor Survey. For Wave 3, around 1500 adults were interviewed last year. The themes discussed will be trends in public opinion, how health and environment consideration affect food and drink choices, understanding of antibiotic resistance, confidence in understanding of medical terms and interacting with doctors.

psci-com how-to: Once subscribed, send emails for the list to [log in to unmask]. If not subscribed, either subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com or send reqests for items to be posted on your behalf to [log in to unmask]

• signoff psci-com (to leave the list) • set psci-com nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday) • set psci-com mail (to resume getting messages)