great ending!

-----Original Message-----
From: Max Richards
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2016 6:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: On a country rail platform / poem by Kenneth Slessor

The Night Ride [layout & punctuation not guaranteed]

Gas flaring on the yellow platform; voices running up and down;

Milk-tins in cold dented silver; half-awake I stare,

Pull up the blind, blink out - all sounds are drugged;

the slow blowing of passengers asleep;

engines yawning; water in heavy drips;

Black, sinister travellers, lumbering up the station,

one moment in the window, hooked over bags;

hurrying, unknown faces - boxes with strange labels -

all groping clumsily to mysterious ends,

out of the gaslight, dragged by private Fates,

their echoes die. The dark train shakes and plunges;

bells cry out, the night-ride starts again.

Soon I shall look out into nothing but blackness,

pale, windy fields, the old roar and knock of the rails

melts in dull fury. Pull down the blind. Sleep. Sleep

Nothing but grey, rushing rivers of bush outside.

Gaslight and milk-cans. Of Rapptown I recall nothing else.

Kenneth Slessor