Sums it up pretty well Stephen.  At Coventry we can use vivas as part of the academic conduct process when we have suspicions based on your list.

If they don't see it advertised blatantly like this example they are almost certainly going to be approached by such companies either in person, via leafleting the campus or via social media.

Perhaps London Underground should be advised on the error of their ways or shamed into removing this ad by media pressure?

Irene

From: Plagiarism <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Stephen Gow <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 27 April 2016 11:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Fwd: essay mills officially advertising on the London Underground

Hello everyone,

It's that time of year again and the essay mills are praying on our anxious students. The discussion fwd below has been raging on the LDHEN mailing list as it seems OKessays.co.uk are advertising at Tube stations near HEIs in London. I've had a few cases of essay writing this year and note the following pattern, which I am sure many of you are familiar with:
  • A suspiciously good essay from a struggling student (harder to tell with anonymous assignments)
  • Native level English writing which stands out, when you have a cohort of International students
  • An eclectic bibliography which doesn't cover what you've covered in class
  • An intelligent attempt at the essay but way off topic and with references to a wide range of unrelated work which are tenuously linked to the question
  • Turnitin doesn't help text-matching isn't an issue (the companies obviously have access to a text-matching software package and promise a 'plagiarism free' essay)
Anything I have missed or ideas for how to deal with this?

Regards,

Stephen

Inline images 1