 Advising on the management of FA provision should be integral to our role
and this should be linked to the requirements of the First Aid Regs  and in
the light of the findings of a risk assessment. For example, more
first-aiders would be required in high risk environments such as encountered
within construction and demolition sites as compared to an office or retail
environment. OH staff providing a treatment service, in my opinion, is a
retrograde step.

I am also a proponent of in-house first aid training as such training can be
focused on the specific hazards associated with the environment in which
those people work and the approach of the team delivering such training can
foster teamwork. In illustration, two weeks ago I witnessed a team of first
aiders save someonešs life following a particularly traumatic accident under
very dangerous circumstances. Three of them had been trained on the same
course at the same time and worked together brilliantly. The fact that the
manšs life was saved was nothing short of miraculous and was testament to
the skills and bravery of that team.

Anne

Anne Harriss
Associate Professor
Course Director
LONDON SOUTH BANK UNIVERSITY

On 06/04/2016 16:04, "Netsai Chirenda" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Just wanted to know what your take is on first aid provision by OH Staff. Is
> it appropriate for Occupational Health to provide first aid ?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Kind regards,
>

> Netsai Chirenda

> _______________
> Be sure to drop by at http://www.virginatlantic.com for all the latest news
> and fantastic offers.
>
> Tweet travel with us: http://www.twitter.com/virginatlantic
>
> Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/virginatlantic
>
> View us on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/virginatlantic
>
> Connect on Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/company/virgin-atlantic-airways
>
> The information contained in this email and its attachments may contain
> confidential/privileged information. It is intended only for the named
> recipient(s). If you are not a named recipient please do not distribute/copy
> or rely on its contents. We apologise if this came to you by mistake - please
> tell us and then delete it. Unless explicitly stated, any opinion expressed in
> this e-mail may not be that of Virgin Atlantic and the content does not
> represent a contract. Whilst Virgin Atlantic takes care to protect its systems
> from electronic virus attack or other harmful event, no warranty is given that
> this email message (including any attachments to it) is free of any virus or
> other harmful matter and accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage
> resulting from the recipient receiving, opening or using it. We reserve the
> right to retain and monitor all e-mail communications. Virgin Atlantic Airways
> Limited. Registered office: Company Secretariat, The Office, Manor Royal,
> Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9NU. Registered in England, company number: 1600117

> ******************************** Please remove this footer before replying.
>
> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html
>
> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH