You obviously enjoy a treatment based clinical role. One particular downside
is that your employer has a statutory duty to provide a certain number of
qualified first aiders first-aiders and this is dependant on the degree of
risk. In the heavy industry sector that will be a significant number which
comes at a significant cost in both time to attend training and the cost of
the training courses they attend. They will rapidly become de-skilled if
they do not practice what they have been taught.

I agree that advising on and managing the first-aid provision is an
important function of an OH service. Providing a treatment service results
in there being less time for pro-active OH advisory role which involves
health protection and health promotion, including interventions associated
with statutory and non-statutory health surveillance, accident prevention
not to mention developing strategies designed to support employees with long
term conditions or following significant periods of sickness absence as part
of vocational rehabilitation.

I am sure others will hold a range of views and this could be an interesting
debate.

Anne

Anne Harriss
Associate Professor
Course Director
LONDON SOUTH BANK UNIVERSITY

On 07/04/2016 12:53, "Sandra Coyne"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have worked in heavy industry for over 20 years and have always provided
> first aid and been part of emergency response teams. Yes we had first aiders
> but the companies employed them to do a job and employed a nurse to take care
> of the employees plus the usual medicals ect. They would not like the fact
> that they had to pull a first aider off a job sometimes when they are working
> at height or a mile away from the first aid centre to clean out someone's eyes
> or clean a laceration when a nurse was in the first aid center. I have always
> been available for anyone who wanted to talk over a problem, or wanted
> information , I have found this a very interesting part of the job and also
> you get to know the employees more so than if you were just doing medicals ect
> so I for one will still provide first aid if and when needed and be very happy
> to do so.

> Please remove this footer before replying.
>
> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html
>
> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH