Dear Colleagues,

A PhD position is available in my group to study photoinduced spin dynamics in single-molecule magnets. I would be grateful if you could please forward the information below to potential candidates.

Many thanks,
Olof Johansson

A three-year PhD studentship is available for a highly motived candidate to start in September 2016 under the supervision of Dr Olof Johansson at the University of Edinburgh.

The project will explore recent developments in ultrafast magneto-optics to study single-molecule magnets (SMMs). This technique is one of very few methods that can directly probe the spin state of electrons on the femtosecond timescale relevant for photoexcitation. This is a new and exciting line of research and SMMs have so far been under-explored. Molecular magnets are promising candidate systems for studying magnetic interactions in environments with reduced dimensionality, which can be chemically tuned due to the vast library of structures accessible with synthetic chemistry.

Our research interests span ultrafast spectroscopy, magnetism and materials chemistry. The materials for this project will be developed in collaboration with groups from the vibrant SMM community in the School of Chemistry. We will also work with the Thin Film Centre at the University of West of Scotland, building on their excellent expertise in making thin films for both optical and magnetic applications.

To apply, interested candidates should initially contact Dr Olof Johansson ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>). Informal enquiries are encouraged. Applications will be considered until 30th May 2016 or as soon as a suitable candidate has been identified.

Dr J. Olof Johansson
Royal Society of Edinburgh/BP Trust Research Fellow

The University of Edinburgh
School of Chemistry
Joseph Black Building
David Brewster Road
Edinburgh
EH9 3FJ
UK

Tel: +44 (0) 131 650 6452 | Mobile: +44 (0) 7758 463569
Web: http://olofjohansson.wix.com/ultrafastmolmag

To join or leave the molecular-dynamics-news email list, go to:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/molecular-dynamics-news.html