I noticed the connections between Revelation and Dante are really strong, especially when you get to Paradiso, back as an undergrad. As for John having read Virgil, I haven't heard any speculation on that (doesn't mean someone hasn't published a paper in a religious studies journal somewhere, though). It strikes me as unlikely that there was any direct connection. The author (whether the Apostle John or someone from eastern Anatolia/upper Mesopotamia) almost certainly didn't know Latin and doesn't appear to have been overly invested in Hellenistic cultural referencing. Furthermore, there was a wealth of Jewish apocalyptic literature available for him.