What's wrong with the iconoclast controversy? Sorry, since that's my thing, I'm just a little hurt ...

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 6:59 AM, Richard Raiswell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Illustribus,
I would strongly recommend Stuart Clark's /Vanities of the Eye/.

It is early modern in focus, but it has enough background to be useful and so of the debates he examines from a 16th C. context are relevant earlier.

Best,

Richard

Richard Raiswell

Dept. of History,
Univ. of PEI
550 University Ave.,
Charlottetown, PEI
C1A 4P3

Fellow, Centre for Reformation and Renaissance Studies,
Victoria University in the Univ. of Toronto.
CONFIDENTIAL | CONFIDENTIEL This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed. | Ce message contient des renseignements qui peuvent être confidentiels ou protégés. Il s'adresse au destinataire prévu ou à une personne autorisée à le recevoir en son nom. Si vous l'avez reçu par erreur, nous vous prions d'en informer l'auteur dans les meilleurs délais, de ne pas divulguer son contenu et de le supprimer de votre système.

>>> "Cormack, Margaret Jean" <[log in to unmask]> 04/17/16 9:46 PM >>>

Greetings all,
Ím wondering whether any of you can give me a lead on where to find out about the relative importance of vision (as opposed to hearing) as a  means of gaining knowledge? I dońt want to get into the iconoclast controversy, but Ím  wondering what philosophers and/or theologians had to say about this in the 12th century or later. Can anyone point me to some bibliography?
Thanks,
Meg
to: [log in to unmask]