I visit village churches quite often and find that one can usually by planning ahead find details of a churchwarden where the church is not open (and there are often key notices).  Maybe as a retired priest I don't usually find this too difficult, but my experience is that wardens are usually delighted to have someone taking an interest in their building. BTW John the Baptist at Adel is a lovely church, with some fascinating Continental roundels in vestry windows and other interesting glass as well. Images are on my Flickr site in an album. I imagine you know this church from attending the Leeds Medieval?

Gordon Plumb

In a message dated 06/04/2016 19:33:59 GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

Thanks for these replies.  The English village church with which I'm most familiar (St John the Baptist in Adel, Leeds; a grade I listed building) is kept locked when no one is about.  Its siting is such that one could enter it unlocked without attracting notice and, also without attracting notice, cause damage or quickly remove something portable.  It is kept open on one morning and one afternoon in the week but at those times it is watched.  Moreover, there are church buildings behind it making provision for the key at other times less of an an issue than it might be elsewhere.  Indeed, I had guessed that a major component of the rationale for leaving the church in Brent Eleigh open would be difficulty with provision for key, given that the building is situated above the village (so the account at <http://wasleys.org.uk/eleanor/churches/england/suffolk/suffolk_one/brent_eleigh/index.html>) and that the village itself is lightly inhabited (fewer than 200 residents).  That this church is so situated and also hidden by trees (more of a security problem in some months than in others) could suggest a perhaps statistically unusual vulnerability.

Best again,
John Dillon

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Madeleine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 6, 2016 11:02:26 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Suffolk wall paintings damaged

Counter-intuitively, Ecclesiastical Insurance (who insure most churches in England and Wales) say churches are almost always safer open. They are mostly thinking about theft rather than vandalism, but they say that anyone trying to steal from or damage a church which is open could be interrupted at any time. Few church doors can be so securely locked that they will resist determined efforts to break in (and there's always the windows ...) and if the church is believed to be locked the intruders can be fairly confident of being undisturbed.

Ecclesiastical also suggest a range of strategies that churches can use to protect themselves against theft and vandalism while remaining open - from not leaving old parish magazines lying round to not putting the parish lawnmower and its petrol in the tower!

Maddy

---
Prof. Madeleine Gray University of South Wales http://www.heritagetortoise.co.uk http://twitter.com/heritagepilgrim 'The communication of the dead is tongued with fire beyond the language of the living' (T. S. Eliot, Little Gidding)