Have used many and found most free versions pretty frustrating for one
reason or another.

The ones I use or have used include:

*Camtasia: * Although commercial software - There is an academic or
non-commercial license which is very reasonably priced.  Once you have used
Camtasia, it is really hard to use anything else without some level of
frustration.

*Jing: *  A freebie from TechSmith who make Camtasia.  Brilliant if you can
work within the limitations.  5mins long, Flash files and no editing.  I
have it on my desk all the time for quick'n'dirty software demos.

*EZVid: * Used to like this, seems to work well on the PC, but nowhere near
as good as Camtasia

*Screencast-o-matic:*  Used to use this, but found it rather frustrating.
But this looks like a new version, worth looking at, thanks Matt.

cheers

eib

Ed I Bremner
Consultant and Trainer in Digital Media