Hi Emily

Interesting question – thanks for posing it.  We also currently provide journal percentiles at department level. However, this might change as we roll out the findings of our responsible metrics working group.  I think the way to approach this would be:

·         Always provide a long list of caveats (A&H don’t publish much in journals; a citation means something different to A&H than to STEM; the citation benchmarking tools don’t cover as many of their journals; the publication sets are therefore going to be small leading to less meaningful results)

·         Take Mirza’s excellent point and stress that the numbers should not be used to compare one department with another, only for each department’s interest and trend tracking.

·         Be as transparent as possible about the data in the set – don’t just provide indicators (“0% of journals in the Top 25% by SNIP” doesn’t help anyone)

·         Always use subject normalised journal metrics – SNIP is your best bet for A&H – but remember they are not normalised equally. (See Katie Evans last BiU presentation on the lis-Bibliometrics files area)

·         Try and work with the departments to see whether you develop a better metric for them.  We’re currently attempting this at Loughborough…

There might be others that colleagues want to chip in!

Good luck J

Elizabeth Gadd MSc, MCLIP, FHEA

Research Policy Manager (Publications)

Research Office