Dear Nicolas,

Thank you for your short note regarding the recent recommendations to Argentina by the CLCS.

I have not been able to find the recommendations themselves, but based on the press release following the 40th session (found here: http://www.un.org/press/en/2016/sea2030.doc.htm) and the 2009 note from the UK (found here: http://www.un.org/depts/los/clcs_new/submissions_files/arg25_09/clcs_45_2009_los_gbr.pdf), I cannot agree with your conclusion that the CLCS said "OK" to Argentina except in two very limited areas off the mainland coast of Argentina.

Instead, it appears that the Commission actually declined to consider the vast majority of the Argentine submission, including all parts associated the Malvinas/Falklands, South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands, and Antarctica. The relevant part of the UN press release of 28 March 2016 is copied below.

In the meantime, if you or anybody else has access to the recommendations, it would be good to see what the Commission actually said and did.

Best regards,

Coalter

"With regard to the recommendations in respect of the submission made by Argentina, it is recalled that, previously, the Commission had already decided that it was not in a position to consider and qualify those parts of the submission that were subject to dispute and those parts that were related to the continental shelf appurtenant to Antarctica (see CLCS/64, paras. 76 and 77 and CLCS/76 para. 57)." UN Press Release SEA/2030

Coalter G. Lathrop
Sovereign Geographic
+1.202.905.5820