Just to circulate a study we did in 2012, funded by DDF.

Four years old but still useful as a look into the different meanings of manuscripts, as well as how we might interpret them.

From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John McMahon
Sent: 13 April 2016 12:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: learning from archives

Hi Allan, there are many, many that do, though in my experience (anecdotally) a number of local government services have reduced their provision in recent years due to budgetary contraints.

Not specific to archives, but I hope that HLF’s Learning Guidance might include much that is of value as you plan your initial learning offer, whether or not you’re planning a funding proposal.

For examples, I encourage you to have a look through the case studies on the HLF website – this should include smaller and/or volunteer-run settings that have just begun to develop learning activities and resources (you can sift for ‘museums, libraries and archives’ and ‘learning’, and also by region). Please also feel free to ask about it in our Online Community!

At the ‘high end’ – London Metropolitan Archives, Westminster Archives, RIBA, the Royal Geographical Society, the British Postal Museum and Archive etc all have great, varied formal and informal learning offers that meet a variety of national curriculum themes.

I was at Archives+ in Manchester on Monday, and that was MINDBLOWING – partnerships across multiple archives, use of digital/technology, public engagement, learning etc – well worth a look.

I’ve also asked colleagues from The National Archives whether there’s any particular guidance they’d recommend for archives just beginning to develop learning programmes – so fingers crossed I might have something to share from there, too.

Good luck, and please do share other examples that you find,

John

John McMahon
Policy Adviser, Learning and Volunteering
Heritage Lottery Fund
Email: [log in to unmask]

Website: www.hlf.org.uk

Follow me on Twitter @JohnMcArtsEd, HLF @HeritageLottery, and join the discussions in our online community