Dear All

One things that makers of ‘portable’ kit often overlook is the performance of their creations as vehicles. They reckon that because their portable whatnot needs to be movable they’ll  just stick a swivel castor on each corner and everything will be just fine.

But anyone who’s ever pushed a supermarket trolley will know this is nonsense. If you want something big and potentially heavy, like a coatrack or a locker for 30 lunch boxes, to be well behaved when its being pushed you don’t want to fit it with swivel castors all round: you need two fixed castors at one end and two swivel castors at the other, and you need to always push the thing from the end with the swivel castors. This way you have control over the steering, and the thing will be found to be very manoeuvrable because it has rear steering (like your car when backing up).

And you need decent size wheels, too. At least 100 mm, if not 150 mm, with non-marking rubber tyres and on ball or roller bearings.

Oh, yes, and always use locking swivel castors. If you have two of these and a pair of fixed, ie non-swivelling, castors at the other end then when you put the brakes on you’re pretty much guaranteed that the thing will stay where you put it.

Hope this helps

Regards

Richard.

Richard Ellam