Hello,

I am a student at NYU School of Law working with the International Refugee Assistance Project (IRAP) to represent an Iraqi refugee attempting to enter the United States. We have an interesting Iraqi history / law question, the answer to which will allow us to confirm his testimony. I am posting to this list in the hope that someone may have relevant knowledge.

My client claims to have received an exemption from military service under the Saddam Hussein regime in the 1990s in accordance with a presidential order that applied to returning Iraqis who were expelled from Kuwait following the First Gulf War. He is fairly certain that this presidential order was issued in 1992 and appeared in the Iraqi Official Gazette. However, I have thus far been unable to find corroborative evidence of the law.

Is anyone aware of such an exemption? And if so, do you have sources to confirm its existence? Please email on  [log in to unmask]

Thank you for your help!

Sincerely,

Jake

--
Jacob M. Karr
JD Candidate | Class of 2018

Note: The material contained in this communication comes to you from the Forced Migration Discussion List which is moderated by the Refugee Studies Centre (RSC), Oxford Department of International Development, University of Oxford. It does not necessarily reflect the views of the RSC or the University. If you re-print, copy, archive or re-post this message please retain this disclaimer. Quotations or extracts should include attribution to the original sources.

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Posting guidelines: http://www.forcedmigration.org/research-resources/discussion/forced-migration-discussion-list-posting-guidelines