University of Cumbria E-mail Disclaimer

I agree James.

You cannot get around the issue of under resourcing of marking time for assessments.  The allowance I believe includes administration time and remember in a 15 CAT module you are likely to have two assessment points.  If we stuck to the time limits then the feedback would be very poor generally.

I myself am using more podcasts, but I have avoided going the group work route as a coping strategy, and I put a lot of time and effort into formative feedback which helps as I am normally familiar with what the students then produce.  It saves a little time.

We neglect the marking/feedback element of teaching and assessment at our peril, and at times forget this is a vital part of student learning and satisfaction. One idea which we should adopt is that all senior managers in faculties are module tutors and are thus engaged in the full teaching experience with colleagues, including marking assessments.  That might lead to a discussion based on a shared understanding of the professional issues for tutors.

I am seeing more students asking how their fees are allocated to support their learning.  I think in time that could result in some pressure to invest more resources into marking assessments (ie – give tutors more time to do a thorough job), but then again, I am a perennial optimist!.

Best wishes.

Jim