From: European Association for the Teaching of Academic Writing - discussions [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Fiona English [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2016 5:10 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: sad news from the University of Alberta

Dear Lucie

So sorry to hear this - but unfortunately not entirely surprised. The same sort of thing started happening in the UK at the beginning of the 2000s - either with centres being taken over by external organisations such as INTO or being subsumed under student or library services. It is painful and frustrating and demonstrates, as you say, complete ignorance (or care) of the nature of the work such centres are involved in. I found that my colleagues other departments did have some appreciation as we had worked with them on various projects, but it was the mushrooming central administration who were the problem.

My own solution, after having built up the centre over 12 years, was to move on to work on a masters programme in TESOL and Applied Linguistics at another university - something I very much enjoyed - until that too was eventually tampered with by central administrators who had not a clue or care about what we did. In the end, we on the team all left!

My response to both cases, it seems, was to write a book! The first came out of the academic literacies work from the writing centre days; the second came out of my collaboration with a colleague on the MA. In both cases, the book writing process enabled me to work through my - yes - grief at what had been, and pleasure at what could be restored.

So it's great to see that you will be doing something along the same lines.

All the very best of luck for the future

Fiona