Apologies to all
The second message I sent out this morning was a draft and went out in
error.

This should make more   sense!

DAN is collaborating closely withAchieveAbility (AA).

A recent phone call with them brought out the following points:

- AA will be focusing on assessment as something that enables and does
not put up barriers: this includes Access to Work (AtW) among other
things, they are also interested in education and apprenticeships.

- They have just attended a parliamentary briefing on engaging with govt
and have a meeting coming up with Lord Addington.

-  AA is in favour of user-led representation, the Nothing About Us
Without Us approach.

  - DEAs are being phased out.  The new approach is to have an emphasis
on JCP coaches who will guide people through online job searches.

- AA is already doing work on this with JCP to develop the IT skills of
the dyslexic/ neurodiverse unemployed

Both DAN and AA are concerned about digital exclusion - both in terms of
services for the unemployed and the proposals for Universal Credit

  I have invited AchieveAbility to share our DAN jiscmail list since it
is currently under-used

NEXT: An All-Party Parliamentary Group on Disabilities, chaired by
Disability Rights UK, is coming up on April 13th.

DAN's concerns about Access to Work (below) will be raised. These were
forwarded to a senior member of AtW last month.

She replied yesterday, inviting me to arrange a meeting, but not till
end of May. So I'll phone in the first instance with urgent matters
(such as the deadline for renewal of contracts for AtW providers )and
also arrange a meeting for later.

These questions are based on DAN's training of  Access to Work Advisers,
feedback from claimants who have contacted us with their experience of
Access to Work (AtW), meetings and correspondence with AtW senior staff.

Currently the information given out by Contact Centres to people with
dyslexia and related conditions is inconsistent. Some claimants are
still being asked for proof of disability or a GP’s letter.
How can this be rectified?

Many AtW advisers are inexperienced, lacking training on dyslexia and
related conditions although this is one of the biggest disability
cohorts.
  How can this be rectified?

There is a lack of quality assurance in AtW reports. The  process
appears to be measured on administrative throughput, lacking quality
assurance and oversight.
Some assessments are of very low quality (we have examples from Capita)

  How can this be rectified?

Claimants report difficulty of getting hold of the same person, to
enable continuity.
  How can this be rectified?

Melanie

Melanie Jameson
Chair of the Dyslexia Adult Network, DAN
Together we can make a difference
www.dan-uk.co.uk

Dyslexia Consultancy Malvern
http://www.dyslexia-malvern.co.uk/