Dear Alex,

Could you clarify what you would like to see when you check all space groups?  Phaser (and some other programs) can check all the space groups with the same point group symmetry, i.e. all the space groups that are compatible with the symmetry used in processing and merging the data.  (Or at least the space groups without inversion operators that chiral molecules like proteins can adopt.)  Any wider choice of space groups would require you to merge the data either with lower or higher symmetry, but then you should be looking at other indicators (twinning tests, extra symmetry in the diffraction data) to address those uncertainties.

Actually, Phaser will now allow you to specify a lower symmetry subgroup of the point group in which the data have been provided.  This is useful if it looks like the data have been merged in too high symmetry because a twin operator has mistakenly been interpreted as part of the space group symmetry.  In this case, Phaser expands the data to the lower symmetry.  But you can only test one subgroup at a time, and the choice has to be made manually.

Best wishes,

Randy