hi Sam

Are the cell edges really different (i.e. did Mosflm round a,b and c down to 1 decimal place, or did the difference arise from some other source?)?

Assuming that the reported cell edges from Mosflm are really the same, solution 2 should be used because, with three obtuse angles, it is conventionally correct. So you'd cause fewer raised eyebrows with 2.

You could choose to use the cell with three acute angles and all your subsequent calculations would give you an identical model.

Technically, they are the same solution, just using different characteristic lattice transformations from the triclinic basis determined in the autoindexing (the first C.L. transformation from International Tables is the identity, so it looks as if the original cell reduction in Mosflm hasn't given the conventional cell).

Harry
--
Dr Harry Powell
Chairman of International Union of Crystallography Commission on Crystallographic Computing