Maybe indeed this is partly a semantic issue.

But it seems unlikely that what the referee means by “over-refined” is too many refinement cycles. Is the referee’s suggestion then to stop the refinement before convergence ?  That makes no sense to me.

Overfitting is a real potential issue. “Over-refined” (per your definition below, running 50 cycles when 20 are enough) is not. That’s because as you’ve described very well all that happens is that nothing moves or changes in any significant way during the extra 30 cycles. In other words the model does not get better but it does not get worse either.

Thierry

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Oganesyan, Vaheh
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2016 9:53 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Over refinement

Is the term “over-refined” synonymous to “over-fitted” in this context? At least in my hands if I use 50 cycles of refinement when convergence is reached at 20 no statistically significant changes occur with either R or Rfree or the model. If one will keep adding solvent molecules into small pieces of electron density maps and/or fitting unstructured protein parts into badly defined places then over-fitting term is in place and decreased R and increased Rfree will show that. IMHO in no context these two terms should be used interchangeably.

Regards,

Vaheh Oganesyan

www.medimmune.com