Von: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Im Auftrag von Bock, Tobias
Gesendet: Dienstag, 12. April 2016 06
:06
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: [ccp4bb] Strange symmetry/occupancy problem in protein/DNA complex

Dear colleagues,

we have recently crystallized a homodimeric protein in complex with a palindromic 16-bp DNA fragment. The spacegroup is I422 and data collection statistics look completely unsuspicious. We could solve the structure by Molecular Replacement and find one DNA duplex and two homodimers of our protein in the asymmetric unit. Both homodimers bind to the same DNA molecule, but seemingly at different positions (i.e. one to the palindrome as expected, the other one shifted and rotated by 4 bp such that is does not overlap with the “correct” homodimer).

And here is where our trouble starts: we find additional electron density for 4 bp at one end of our DNA duplex. If we use this to position our DNA-16-mer, the second protein homodimer also is in register with the palindrome. We now wonder: is there an indexing problem, despite the fact that the data statistics look fine such that the symmetry is lower and the ASU contains two separate copies of the protein/DNA-complex, which have somehow been folded on top of each other in I422? Or do we look at partial occupancies of both DNA and protein? Needless to say we could not get this to work in phenix.refine and could also do with some help here…

I am attaching figures of the structure(s) to this message.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Tobias

Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH | Inhoffenstraße 7 | 38124 Braunschweig | www.helmholtz-hzi.de
Das HZI ist seit 2007 zertifiziertes Mitglied im "audit berufundfamilie"
50 Jahre Spitzenforschung - 50 Jahre HZI: www.helmholtz-hzi.de/50

Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: MinDir’in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe, Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung
Stellvertreter: MinDirig Rüdiger Eichel, Niedersächsisches Ministerium für Wissenschaft und Kultur
Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. Dirk Heinz; Franziska Broer
Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung (GmbH)
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Braunschweig
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Braunschweig, HRB 477