Peter, it seems to me you have two more settings - Setting 3. I know all about this. Setting 4. I know nothing.

Seriously though what you say about in the 60's and going to Oxford or Cambridge etc, I don't really know, I never went to either, and the majority of poets I know never went to either so I don't really know what your point is. It might very well be true that going to one or the other would send a poet down a certain track but there were lots of other things that sent people down tracks - you yourself went down a 'track', whatever it was. Your whole view of the poets anyway seems so jaundiced, all this stuff about begging and sub-species and mission - one minute you are pretending to read all their minds and the next minute you say you don't understand any of it. Don't know if you bothered reading my article but one of the points I made was that this poetry that you say you don't understand etc was picked up and enthused about mostly by poets outside of academia. Oh, and I have not used the word 'monopolisation', that's Dave I think. I don't see any monopoly. Not sure what you are referring to anyway - sorry but all I pick up from you as usual is negativity - a kind of inside-out negativity -