The Glasgow School of Art’s Archives and Collections currently has three exciting opportunities to contribute to work on projects related to GSA’s WW1 activities

We would like 3 people to volunteer 1 day a week for 12 weeks in the first instance, starting in May.

We are looking for enthusiastic, reliable and trustworthy individuals with an interest in history, WW1 and/or the history of GSA and its students and staff. You will have some experience of conducting research, good communication skills and excellent attention to detail.

The placements will initially involve researching those GSA students and staff who feature on the School’s WW1 Roll of Honour using material from GSA’s archives such as our student registers, prospectuses and annual reports from the early 20th century, as well as external resources such as Scotland’s People, Ancestry.com and the internet. We’d then like you to compile short biographies for these students and staff, which will be added to our online catalogue. Similar research will also be undertaken in relation to a project which will focus on GSA’s home front activities during the First World War.

Please take a look at our blog for an idea of the research that has been undertaken so far: http://www.gsaarchives.net/?s=roll+of+honour&search=Search

This is a great opportunity for those of you who’d like to gain more experience of working with original archive material and conducting archival research. Full training will be provided and you will learn how to undertake this type of research, how to use the resources available, how to handle the material properly, and how to compile biographies. There will also be opportunities to disseminate your research via presentations/talks and via our blog.

The placements will be based at our new premises at The Whisky Bond in Glasgow: http://www.thewhiskybond.co.uk/

If you are interested in applying please send a covering letter and CV (including contact details for two referees) to Michelle Kaye, Collections Development Officer, [log in to unmask]  by midnight on Monday 2nd May 2016.

Best wishes,

Michelle

Michelle Kaye

Collections Development Officer