Dear Ehud and others,
I took part in setting up a few archaeobotanical displays (none of them permanent unfortunately) and what I found critical is putting the remains in a context, either archaeological (as Tania pointed out examples) or even analytical - see our attempt in the attached photos (check out the 'drying' flots). My impression is that the remains, charred ones at least, need 'livening-up' through microscope-enabled interaction (we allowed visitors to, using a brush, gently flip the remains under a microscope so that they could for a minute feel like archaeobotanists) and through exhibiting the corresponding fresh material that can be touched and felt (and perhaps even tasted, as Sheahan suggested). Possibility of performing plant-related activities is always a bonus (flour-making the 'old way' can be very popular with children). Clearly, having somebody to explain/demonstrate to the visitors makes it all much more appealing.
All very best,
Dragana