Please see email below - all comments welcome!  JOHN BIBBY

You are invited to the following events that I am co-organising in York:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Bibby <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 20 April 2016 at 17:09

All forecasts are wrong, but some are more wrong than others. Forecasting should not lead to a "precise" number or "point forecast" - like the recent Treasury £4300 in their research on leaving the EU. Instead, it should lead to a "50% confidence interval forecast", such as £4000-£5000 - the interval being calibrated so that the researcher is 50% confident that the forecast is correct. This has the advantage of falsifiability - if an accurate forecasting method is used, exactly 50% of forecasts will be true; the other 50% will be false. (Alternatively, forecasters may choose a wider interval if they require a higher level of confidence e.g. £3000-£6000 with 90% confidence.)

My forecast - most forecasters will not listen to this, because it gives us a way of distinguishing the fraudulent forecasters from the genuine ones.

JOHN BIBBY  (01904-330334)
1 Straylands Grove
York YO31 1EB

SIGNOFF allstat