The Centre for Multilevel Modelling, University of Bristol, has the following news items:

1. New Release of MLwiN v2.36
2. Introduction to MLM using MLwiN Workshop, 12-14 July 2016
3. Stat-JR & eBook (one-day) Workshop, places available on 4 July and on 8th July 2016

Full details below:

1)  MLwiN 2.36 released (04-Apr-15)

The Centre for Multilevel Modelling would like to announce our latest MLwiN release - 2.36.
For details of bug fixes go to  bug fixes.
Upgrade to latest version
MLwiN

2) Introduction to Multilevel Modelling Using MLwiN Workshop 12-14 July 2016
This workshop provides an introduction to multilevel modelling using the MLwiN software. Closing date for applications is Sunday 15 May 2016.
The workshop provides an introduction to multilevel modelling using the MLwiN software. The course will consist of an approximate 2:1 mix of lectures and hands on practical sessions applying the taught methods to real datasets using MLwiN.

Topics covered:

  • Multilevel data structures
  • An introduction to MLwiN
  • Variance-components models
  • Random-intercept models with covariates
  • Between- and within-effects of level-1 covariates
  • Random-coefficient models
  • Growth-curve models
  • Three-level models
  • A review of single-level logistic regression
  • Two-level logistic regression
Pre-requisites:
We assume that participants are familiar with single level regression models (to the level implied by Module 3 of our online multilevel modelling course) but have no prior knowledge of multilevel modelling. Theory sessions are accompanied by practical sessions using our software, MLwiN, in which participants get the chance to apply what they have learned to real datasets. No prior knowledge of MLwiN is assumed: the first practical takes participants right from the very basics. Throughout, there is an emphasis on how to interpret the models and on what kinds of research question they can be used to explore. For further information, see previous 'Introduction to Multilevel Modelling Using MLwiN' workshop materials (the presentations will be similar but may be subject to minor changes).

Instructors:
Professor Harvey Goldstein, Dr George Leckie, Dr Richard Parker

Timing:
The course starts with registration at 10.45am on Day 1 and finishes at 3.00pm on Day 3. Participants are expected to attend the full course.

Course fees:
The course fee includes event materials, lunch, and morning/afternoon refreshments. The course fee does not include travel and accommodation costs. There will be an optional course evening meal for participants and workshop instructors on the first evening at an additional cost of £30.

For UK-registered PhD students - £180
For UK university academics, UK public sector staff, and staff at UK registered charity organisations - £360
For all other participants - £660
Cancellation/refunds:
A full refund will be given if cancellation occurs two weeks prior to the event. No refund is given after this date. By completing the application form, you are accepting these cancellation terms.

Applications:
Our workshops are now regularly over-subscribed so we have had to introduce an application and selection process.

If you would like to attend the workshop, please complete and submit the online application form (see below). Please note the closing date for applications is Sunday 15 May 2016.

Submission of the form and its acknowledgement does not guarantee a place on the course. We will email you by Friday 20 May 2016 to tell you whether or not your application has been successful. If you are offered a place on the workshop, it will not be confirmed until you have accepted and paid the relevant fee.

For further information and to make an application, please see:
www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/support/workshops/

If you have any queries, please email [log in to unmask]

3) Stat-JR Workflow & eBook Workshops, 4th July and 8th July 2016, University of Bristol

The Centre for Multilevel Modelling will be running two
​one-day ​
workshops
​​
introducing the Stat-JR software package and in particular its new workflow system developed as part of our current ESRC-funded project “The use of interactive electronic-books in the teaching and application of modern quantitative methods in the social sciences”.

These are one-day workshops with the same workshop being run on two occasions
​ (both at the University of Bristol, UK)​
:
​​
​ ​
Monday 4th July 2016 and Friday 8th July 2016

Stat-JR is a statistical environment that allows you to explore, analyse and display data. Whilst Stat-JR has its own in-house statistical functionality which uses Python and also C++, it can additionally interoperate with a wide variety of other statistical software packages, such as R and MLwiN.

Users have a choice of Stat-JR interfaces: a chiefly menu-driven interface (TREE), an eBook-reader (DEEP), and (in the upcoming release in Spring 2016) a new workflow interface. The workflow interface uses the Blockly visual programming system, extending the selection of blocks available to include those that perform common statistical processes. As such, it has a user-friendly front-end which allows users to build up a workflow using different blocks, with each block conceptually representing a particular section of code.

Stat-JR is distributed with MLwiN, and is therefore free to UK academics and otherwise available for purchase (see our Ordering & Installing Stat-JR page for more information).

Instructors:
Dr Richard Parker, Professor Bill Browne, Mr Chris Charlton

For further information about the workshop and to make an application, please go to:
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/software/support/workshops/

Please note the closing date for applications is Sunday 1 May 2016.

If you have any queries, please email [log in to unmask]
Centre for Multilevel Modelling
Graduate School of Education
University of Bristol

Centre Administrator