Dear All,

(which I am and have been aware includes various compilers of league tables and HESA in addition to colleagues in planning roles in institutions)

[P.S. You can tell I'm not at work by the way I've allowed myself to go on - I'm sharing it all as I do think it's important that we have an open discussion on this. You might want to get a cup of tea though.]

I would second much of what Sally has said here. My first commitment in these cases is to the rule of law, but with my second being to the improvement of student experience, the protective practices of league table compiles (not just the CUG, which is the current crucible) means that these two things come into close conflict. I, and I think most of us, would wish to respect the rights of others to protect intellectual property; but just as some of us will push the boundaries of what's allowed under specific terms and conditions, there also appears to me to be a pushing of the boundaries on the part of compilers as to what is really 'intellectual property'. Some of what I see seems to me to be over-protection of IP - trying to protect things that aren't IP and/or 'protecting' them from things that would not cause harm.

My first reaction is to want to work with the claimants to IPR to resolve uncertainties, but that is much easier said than done from my position. Compilers of league tables do not want to have bi-lateral discussions with every institution, and I can understand why not (it would simply be unwieldy) - However, the reaction to this of each compiler having a 'group' that seems to many to be secretive and unrepresentative swings too far, for me, in the other direction. I know Sally is (and a few others are) working hard to improve communication between compilers and the sector, and planners in particular. However, progress is for me, and I think others, frustratingly slow. I would (and I guess am) throw down the gauntlet to compilers to be more pro-active in communicating with the sector. The HESPA day conference on league tables was a good start, but things seem to have retreated from the discussions opened there.

I would wish to ask the compilers directly, but I can't as I'm not in any of their clubs, just what they consider to be their IP. So I leave this as an open, indirect, question here to any who wish to answer it; Which of the following do you consider to be part of your IP?

  1. Subject Groupings - JACS is an open standard; do you consider the mapping from JACS (and cost centres, REF UoAs) to your own groupings to be equally open, or Intellectual Property?
  2. Data purchased from HESA (or collected from other sources - e.g NSS) - again, this is open data, though there is a small charge by HESA for processing it - are the processed numbers, or methodologies provided to HESA, considered as IP?
  3. Data processed by the compiler - purchased or collected data are used to produce 'scores' - are these scores and/or the methodologies used to compile them considered as IP?
  4. Publications - tables are published in websites, newspapers and books - following the structure established in this list, I ask if these are considered as IP? (though I would add that I'd be very surprised if anyone answered 'No' to this one)
My opinion on this:
It's very common for open standards to require that things directly produced from common works be equally common. As such, I would hope to see any data that is derived from open data (including that purchased from HESA) to be equally open. At the same time, however, I would respect reasonable* arguments that the methods used to process that data were IP (*not, for example, however, that mapping from JACS to a subject is IP - In my view it's too simple a thing to be considered as such). For me, that makes items 1 and 2 above not IP, the 'scores' in item 3 would not be IP, but the methodologies would be, and anything under item 4 would be IP. I understand that compilers probably don't want to get involved directly in such an open discussion, but those are my suggested questions for the sector to put to compilers to improve the clarification/communication process however that may happen.

If items 1 and 2 above were considered as open, they could be readily made available to the sector in a controlled way through heidi. Even if they were not considered as fully 'open', the controlled use that the new heidi allows could prevent competitive use, hopefully to the satisfaction of the compiler in question. My previous suggestions to have major data purchases (i.e. for league tables) included in heidi (upon publication of the relevant table) have been knocked back. I can understand there are priorities for developments of heidi, but if this is something we want, we should push for it, or for it to at least be pursued by HESA with their customers. This falls into the category of the question of 'protection from what'? Whilst protection from someone in a privileged position running off and using the IP to go into competition is understandable, what damage is caused by business uses within higher education institutions? I'm not aware of any University that uses league table data to make strategic decisions, and would be concerned if I ever worked at one. At most, decisions based on league table analysis may be tactical on which areas of activity need improvement (in order to meet strategic goals), but by far the most common outcome would be to improve and standardise data quality, which in turn benefits the compilers as much as anyone. 'Protection' implies that harm would otherwise be caused, it's not clear to me how any of these business uses would harm the compliers. It's one thing to protect IP, it's quite another to exercise IPR against charities who are not causing harm to the rights holder.

This is another area where I think the situation could benefit from more open dialogue between compilers and the sector - giving compilers the opportunity to explain their concerns as well as enabling the sector to explain the benefits to the public, students and compilers themselves of 'business use' within HE. I don't have any bright ideas how we open up this particular dialogue though - a sector wide forum (e.g. an open conference) might be too unwieldy, but something restricted might seem unfair to those left out or restrict onward communication. I wonder if it might be worth creating a resource of case studies of how we douse league table data when we get it legitimately (or illegitimately, if someone wanted to come forward, perhaps under an amnesty). That might be useful for both the HESA for League tables  HESPA/HESA training as well as for evidence in opening discussions with compilers.

Best wishes

Ray
(In a personal capacity, but obviously drawing on my professional experience)