From: ACB Point-of-Care Testing [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stade Karen at Homerton Hospital NHS Trust
Sent: 12 April 2016 09:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Transcutaneous Hb

Hi Ian

There is a very good reason that there are very few publications as they are only a screening tool.

We did a very basic screen of this device but quickly stopped as they do state +/- 20  g/L Hb from memory and this is correct.  You also had to take the reading while avoiding bright light and patients could not wear nail polish or false nails.  The clip on monitors which read the Hb (very much like O2 oximeters which clip on fingers) had a limited lifespan and counted down and these were the consumables which required replacement and were costly in comparison to what the gain would be and also in comparison to a basic HemoCue.   During the screen, some Hb’s correlated well but a lot were terrible.  However I do have to state that we used the Masimo on Sickle Cell patients and not on a normal patient population.  We wanted to use the device to avoid taking multiple blood samples while the patients were having exchange transfusions to improve their sickle cell disease but initial results were not desirable so we stopped the project.

The device is mainly used as a screening tool in theatres while in surgery to monitor blood loss but until the science is improved I don’t think I will invest.

Kind regards

Karen

Karen Stade

POCT Coordinator

Pathology Department

London

E9 6SR

): 020 8510 7891 7: 020 8510 7555

:: [log in to unmask] Or: [log in to unmask]

If you have any POCT queries please contact Edita Bacinskaite ([log in to unmask])