Hello,

I had a look at how we could carry out a SENSE reconstruction with
gadgetron. I found two examples one for iterative (conjugate gradient or
others) SENSE (cpureg_cartesian_averaging.xml) and one for GRAPPA
(Generic_Cartesian_Grappa.xml). They use different types of pipelines for
the reconstruction. Here is how I understand it:

cpureg_cartesian_averaging.xml
1) CartesianToGenericGadget creates an additional hoNDArray which contains
the trajectory and the dcf (simply 1s for the Cartesian case). This is
required because the following gadgets are implemented for non-Cartesian
trajectories.
2) gpuGenericSensePrepGadget adds k-space data used for the csm estimation
to a buffer and then reconstructs images and obtains the csm information
prior to the iterative SENSE reconstruction and creates a GenericReconJob
object which contains all the required information for the reconstruction
(k-space data, trajectory, dcf, csm, regularisation,...)
3) gpuCgSenseGadget carries out the interative SENSE reconstruction. Other
iterative SENSE reconstructions are also possible.

Generic_Cartesian_Grappa.xml
1) GenericCartesianReconReferencePrepGadget receives an IsmrmrdReconData
object which contains the k-space data for the image and also for the csm
estimation (no need for trajectory or dcf information because it only
works for Cartesian)
2) GenericCartesianGrappaReconGadget carries out the GRAPPA reconstruction

For the first case I guess we would require an interface to the
GenericReconJob object to add the estimated csm information before
carrying out the gpuCgSenseGadget. In the second case we would need to
modify the IsmrmrdReconData object to include our external csm information
and modify the GenericCartesianGrappaReconGadget to do a SENSE rather than
GRAPPA reconstruction.

Which of the two ways do you think we should try first? Or would it make
more sense to write a simpler gadget ourselves rather than using the more
general (and therefore complex) gadgets which already exist?

Regards,
Christoph

--
Dr. Christoph Kolbitsch
Medical Physics and Metrological Information Technologies